Pages

Friday, January 23, 2015

(Shoulder) Standing on Top of the World

Yesterday, I went to a yoga class outside of my dorm. Yesterday, I also sang Rolling in the Deep to a person I'd met only a handful of moments before, but that's another story.

Yesterday, I went to a yoga class outside of my dorm. I had never been able to do a decent shoulder stand before then; this time, I actually didn't lose my balance! It sort of made me feel like I was standing on top of the world – shoulder standing on top of the world, that is.

For the people who don't know, I hack things (no, not in the illegal way). I build things and change them so that they are cooler, more useful, and other positive adjectives. I guess that this is my way of hacking yoga.

Yesterday, I had a whole lot more to write about. But I'm busy a lot. Writing often doesn't happen. I've been waiting for more MHacks snowball fight pictures to come out so that I can include them in my blog, but, for now, I'll just give a quick recap of the crazy hackathon I went to last weekend:

  • We had a giant snowball fight (think 100+ people) in the middle of the night. It was my first snowball fight ever, and it was insane. There were Canadians. I was on the smaller team, but we had a shield. I will not say how it turned out.
  • My team tried to integrate Google Glass and Myo (an armband that tracks your hand movements based on your muscle contractions) to create a hack that allows operators in control rooms of nuclear power stations to leave the facility during a meltdown, but still control the reactor's temperature to help mitigate (or even prevent) the meltdown. This would make this job a lot safer. It also has other uses––particularly in very hands-on jobs, when there are other things to do, typically done by another person, because the first person's hands are full––but this use was my favorite. This hack didn't work as well as we'd have liked and my teammates ditched me for a lot of the hackathon, which was unfortunate, but, hey... I learned Android in a weekend.
  • There was a cup stacking competition. There were also a ton of Apple engineers who ordered so many cookies from Insomnia Cookies that the local Insomnia Cookies place now knows our name. There was also a make-your-own-hot-cocoa station and it was possibly one of the most wonderful things I have ever, ever encountered.
Anyway, that's what my life has looked like lately. Now, to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment